CONTENT OFFICER JOB DESCRIPTION
MSF India Office
Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian medical aid organization working in more than 65 countries worldwide. Médecins Sans Frontières is neutral, impartial, independent, and not linked to any political party or governmental body. It provides emergency medical assistance to people in need, irrespective of their nationality, race or religion. In 1996, MSF received the Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development and in 1999 MSF was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. MSF has worked in India since 1999 and provides medical treatment to hundreds of thousands of Indian patients. MSF is registered as MSF Holland India Trust under Reg. No. 5691 and as a non-profit Section 25 Company under Reg. No. U85100DL2013NPL249165, dated 6 March 2013.
MSF provides free-of-charge essential healthcare. MSF runs hospitals and clinics, perform surgery, fight epidemics, operate feeding centres for malnourished children and offer mental healthcare. MSF currently runs projects in the states of Bihar, Manipur, Maharashtra, Jammu & Kashmir, Chhattisgarh and Andhra Pradesh. . MSF India is one of 24 offices and operational centres in Europe, America, Asia and Australasia, pooling funding, expertise and staff for MSF field operations. MSF India has three key objectives in support of field operations: the recruitment of skilled medical and non-medical staff, the raising of vital funds, and public information work.
To meet MSF India growing needs in communications, the communication department of MSF India is seeking a dynamic Content Officer.
The department’s purpose is to raise the profile of the organisation and its causes amongst audiences in India and the Diaspora to support MSF’s advocacy, recruitment and fundraising activities.
Last application date: July 2014
Availability: for a minimum period of 3 months
Functional and hierarchical lines
- Hierarchically accountable to the Head of Communications, MSF India Office.
- Works closely with all members of the communications, recruitment, association and fundraising teams
- Builds strong relationships and collaborates actively with MSF India operations (through the PR and advocacy coordinator) and the Access Campaign India office based in Delhi
Purpose of Post
To ensure that all written materials produced by MSF India are in line with the MSF India editorial guidelines and of the highest quality. These will include the www.MSFindia.in and campaign micro sites, newsletters, reports, press releases, briefing documents, web articles, social media posts, case studies, interviews, brochures/leaflets and opinion pieces.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Proof reading and editing the content of www.MSFindia.in and campaign micro sites, MSF reports, press releases, briefing documents, web articles, case studies, interviews, brochures/leaflets, opinion pieces and other materials produced by MSF India to ensure that the content follows MSF India editorial guidelines and that the quality of written English is consistently high.
- Overseeing the production of two regular newsletters – an internal newsletter for MSF India staff (every three months), and an external e-newsletter for MSF India, supporters and the general public (monthly). This will include collecting content, writing and editing articles, selecting photos, liaising with the designer, and seeing content through the approval process.
- Ensuring that MSF India’s written communications materials are jargon-free, appropriate for the intended audience, and convey MSF India’s desired profile as well as the spirit and passion of the organisation.
- Writing stories of patients, MSF staff and expats from South Asia in order to raise public awareness.
- Writing web articles and web updates for the www.MSFindia.in and campaign micro sites.
- Developing and writing campaigns, fundraising, association and recruitment leaflets in order to best attract, engage and retain the respective target groups.
Management and administration
- Attending regularly scheduled meetings to share information, brainstorm solutions and coordinate priorities with the communications team, the MSF India office, the Access Campaign India, the PR and advocacy coordinator and MSF India operations.
- Carrying out any duties that may reasonably be required by the head of communications in the light of the main purpose of the job.
- Providing regular written updates on activities and outputs as part of wider communications reporting structure.
· Minimum Graduation Degree in Journalism, English or Communications.
· Degree in marketing is a plus
· Minimum 4-5 years’ experience working as a sub editor, copywriter, journalist or a content marketer.
· Experience with creating compelling messages for different target demographics.
· Crisis communications experience a plus.
· Excellent writing, editing and proof reading skills Excellent knowledge of English grammar as well as spoken and written
· Knowledge and experience of writing for the web
· Knowledge and experience of writing marketing content
· Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work cooperatively in a dynamic but complex organisation
· Capacity to take initiatives and seize opportunities
· Substantial experience of producing written materials and adapting style to suit a wide range of audiences.
· Flexibility and ability to work under very tight deadlines
· Proven ability to manage projects independently
· Good knowledge of world affairs and a demonstrable understanding of and commitment to humanitarian issues
Desirable skills and experience
- Demonstrable interest in and understanding of public health and medical issues
- Experience producing written materials on global health issues for publication
- Ability to read and understand Hindi and Marathi
· Commitment to MSF principles
· Behavioural flexibility
· Results and quality orientation
· Service orientation
- Planning and organising
If you are interested in this position, please send your CV, three samples of your writing (less than 1,000 words each) and a letter of motivation explaining how your skills and experience relate to the person specification to firstname.lastname@example.org
· Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
· Candidates must hold a valid passport or permit to work in India